So, because I’m an oober dork, this is something I’ve wanted to do since before I even started this blog. I originally had a tumblr and meant to do something like this there, it just never happened. So, eh, what the hell, why not make a post like this now? Besides, it’s my page dammit and I’ll do what I want!
So, It’s just lil’ old me….
First of all, if you haven’t happened to check out my ABOUT ME, head on over there and give us a peak. Otherwise I’ll give you gist of who I am and who we are. My name is Jessica, boyfriend’s name is Chuck. We currently live on a barren piece of grade F desert in the middle of BFE Nevada with a menagerie of animals. This includes: Scooby the pit bull; Dun-Dun and Abby the kittens; Pixie, Dixie, and Buster the rats; Flapjack the Columbian boa; Squishy the goldfish; Pedro the gecko; Scarlet, Charlotte, and Petunia the potbelly pigs; Sir Poof and Chuck-Chuck the roosters; and 15 laying hens. But anyway, lets get started on these questions!
1. What are five passions you have and why?
- Gardening and raising our own food has become one of my biggest passions. Why? Several reasons really. I seriously enjoy every aspect of it. Planning, starting seeds, growing, tending, weeding, harvest, and preserving/processing. Plus, with the health problems Mr. Smivie has had (stage 3 kidney cancer and now stage 3 kidney disease) I want to do everything we can ourselves to help his health before the massive amounts of pills start.
- Raising animals (if you can’t tell by the massive list) is a huge deal to me and always has been. It’s also something we plan to expand on once we are able to.
- Living a real life instead of a have to life. Due to Mr. Smivie’s health problems, we’ve really taken on the mantra of wanting to live a life worth living as opposed to working ourselves to death.
- Creating has become one of the things I’ve really been working on more and more lately. I’ve never seen myself as an artsy person but the more I’ve experimented the more things just seem to fit.
- Getting back to my roots has become increasingly important to me and to Mr. Smivie as well. A simpler way of life is something that we’re really longing for and striving for. After living in Las Vegas, some slowing down is very important to both of us.
2. List 20 random facts about yourself.
- I have a bachelors degree in Early Childhood Education.
- I was a competitive shooter for close to 15 years, specializing in shotgun, rifle, and muzzleloaders and won several state and national competitions.
- I still have my first car, it has a wiring issue right now, but it’ll be back on the road ASAP. It’s a 1999 Ford Ranger.
- I moved to Las Vegas, Nevada from Southeastern Ohio in January of 2012.
- I’m addicited to the Dollar Tree and I’m convinced just about anything I need can be bought there.
- Boyfriend is a member of a motorcycle club and about 99% of our free time is spent on the Harley.
- I left my “normal” job over a year ago and Mr. Smivie and I started focusing on our small business as a way to support us.
- So far my hair has been purple, magenta pink, pale pink, and peacock blue, and I LOVE IT!!
- I currently have four tattoos( Believe and butterflies on my left foot, a pink hibiscus and “hope” on my left foot, a coffin bat by my left big toe, and “Grandpa” in my grandpa’s handwriting on my left wrist) and eleven piercings, and I’m no where near done! I have plans for a full sleeve and several other pieces I can wait to have started.
- I drive Mr. Smivie crazy when we go shopping. I’ll look around for hours and never buy anything at all! Half the time he has to convince me it’s okay to buy myself something even if I really need it.
- I HATE, HATE, HATE shoes! I would run around barefoot all the time, except the dirt out here terrifies me (mainly because of all the scorpions and stingy/bitey critters that live in it) so instead I have a pair of sandals that I wear until its so cold my toes turn blue.
- I am 28 years old and currently own my first house. We paid it off about 8 months ago! It’s a pretty tiny little place (520 square feet) but I can say it’s ours.
- We’re getting ready to move out of Las Vegas and head back to where I’m from. I never thought I would ever be excited to go back, but I’m so ready to go home I can’t stand it.
- I love to quilt, sew, embroider, paint, and craft just about anything I can.
- I’ve never mastered how to use a “real” fishing pole, instead I can only really use a cane pole. Catfish and bass are no match for my cane poles!
- I’ve never been a huge cat person, however Mr. Smivie had an old stray turned house cat when I moved in with him and Steve became my baby.
- I’ve had so many animals over the years it isn’t even funny. Dogs, cats, turtles, hermit crabs, fish, rabbits, pigs, chickens, lizards, snakes, squirrels, an opossum, a raccoon, a skunk, a hedgehog, and a just about anything else you can think of.
- The fact that there’s no green or variation here drives me absolutely insane. That’s part of the reason why I have so many house plants!
- I miss weather, seeing barns, and plowed fields more than just about anything else. The colors, the smells, all of it is something you never believe you could ever take advantage of until it’s not there anymore.
- I’ve been dreaming a lot lately of owning our own piece of real property with a small house, and I find that being exactly where we’re headed for once.
3. 5 things you would tell your 15 year old self.
- It’s okay to not have your mind made up about everything at 15, you’ll have a long time to figure everything out.
- Follow your heart and leave home, but don’t think you can never come back. As a matter of fact, you may fight it, but you’re going to want to come back.
- Learn to stand up for yourself. There’s nothing wrong at all with standing up for yourself.
- It’s okay to say NO. Do what’s best for you and say no if you need to.
- Learn to spend time by yourself and be okay with spending time alone.
4. 5 people who have influenced you and why.
- Grandpa- he was my rock, and literally the strongest person I’ve ever known in my life.
- Mr. Smivie- we’ve been thru so much in these last 4 years I seriously have no idea how we’ve always managed to make it thru. Yet somehow, no matter how bad it gets we always find a way.
- My Dad- haha God love him. I call him and ask him everything! My favorite was when I first moved in with Mr. Smivie and I thought I broke the vacuum cleaner. Dad talked me thru taking the entire things apart and putting it back together.
- My Mom- Mom has really become my sounding board since I moved away. Anytime something’s happened she’s always been the first one I call.
- Grandma- Grandma is so steady, everything about her and her house is always pretty constant. Every time I come home it’s like I’ve never left and we just pick up right back where we lift that. I don’t think she really understands how much I need that sometimes.
5. Something I’m afraid of:
- Being alone use to bother me, now it doesn’t seem to really bother me at all. Honestly, situations I don’t have any control over at all terrify me. Sitting on the back of the bike, where I have no control over anything doesn’t bother me at all, however having certain aspects of our lives dependent upon another person scares the hell out of me.
6. Where are you from and where do you live now?
- Originally from New Marshfield, Ohio (just outside of Athens way down in Southeastern Ohio) and now I live about 65 miles outside of Las Vegas, Nevada in a small town called Pahrump.
7. What are 5 things that make you happy?
- Rain, well really any weather other than freaking heat and hellacious wind.
- Critter kisses and cuddles.
- Four wheels move the body, but two wheels move the soul. (Any time spent on the back of a Harley is a great day for me)
- Being goofy with Mr. Smivie.
- Seeing brand new seeds starting to sprout thru the dirt.
8. What popular notion do you think the world has most wrong?
- I’ve really had to think on this one, but this is what I’ve got. I honestly believe one of the worst popular notions out there is the idea that you have to be better than someone else. Let me explain this though. You have to take the money you work so hard for and spend it on a giant house you’re going to be making payments on for years, yet you spend 90% of your time away from this house at work, so you never get to enjoy it. You have to have big flashy cars, and all the new gadgets as soon as they hit the market. Everyone has to spend every single dime they have, just so they can have more or be more than someone else. But why? What kind of life is that? You never really get to live, instead you spend all your time working to appear to have more that then next person. I’m not okay with this, and this isn’t the life I will ever choose to live. To many people that makes me backward and too different since I’m happy with a little house and an older car, and not all the bells and whistles. But, I can tell you we won’t work our guts out like someone else just to be able to make it one day at a time.
9. Name something you absolutely hate to do.
- For me personally, I hate to clean. I mean it. I absolutely despise cleaning. Don’t get me wrong, my house is usually alright, even if it is cluttered, but my God I HATE cleaning. Dishes and laundry is absolute hell to me. I’m working on getting better about it. In a few of my other posts I’ve mentioned getting into a routine for everything, and I think once I have that done I’ll be much better about everything. But for right now, meh, I don’t feel like it! 😛
10. What’s the story of your blog? Where did the name come from and why did you start it?
- Smivie Farms is something we’ve been calling our little piece of dirt for a long time. Smivie, is not my last name, nor is it Chuck’s. Instead, it’s a combination of our names that we thought sounded half way decent. This blog was created as a simple way for me to record a lot of the things we do, and projects we come up with. Eventually, I’ll be adding various other things to it in order to monetize once it really starts to do okay, if it ever does. I was trying to think of a way I would really enjoy to make a little extra money if I could, and after hours on Pinterest I thought this looked like a great idea for me!